Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Pursuit of Happiness

When my mom was young, she had to sit at the table until her plate was finished. It didn't matter how long she had to sit there, but she couldn't leave until all the food on her plate was in her mouth. She always says that one time she challenged her mother and sat until 1 in the morning food uneaten. At that point, her father walked in and excused her. It just occured to me that I only eat what I "want" off of my plate. That means I leave some items I have never tried or don't want to eat like vegetables. In the last case, those are really healthy things that can help me grow in a postive way. I think that my only what I want viewpoint has carried over beyond the dinner table. I fight so hard against anything I'm not familiar with or don't want to do. Perhaps this has something to do with procrastination because I don't do what I don't want to which is typically essays for english, large projects, or things I expect to be boring. Maybe I can beat procrastination if I started doing things that I didn't want to. Like getting up at 4 am to finish that project before I go behind, or starting on something a day or two early to really hound in the idea. It is easy to write this, but the reality of it is stinging even as I think about this. I was/am always great at avoiding all sorts of discipline that I can.

Lord, I ask for your help. Through your grace I aspire to turn that was/am to a firm WAS and leave it behind me in the past. Amen.

>ClumsyCatholic

No comments:

Post a Comment