Monday, April 7, 2014

The Winding Road Away from Nowhere

The air conditioning is not powerful. I can barely feel it over the shoulders of my brother. He's driving. Dads next to him. I'm in the back in my sideways seat looking at the dirt road through the back of our pickup. Today we leave everything I've ever known for a chance to get my dad a job with my other brother. It's quiet. There's no conversation in the front   Brett says dad did something to him but no one will say what. Although I'm an adult now no one will tell me anything because I'm the little sister. The taste of a coke is still on my tongue making my teeth feel like candy. I got it from Flo's shop. She was always so kind to me. I visited her shop often and nearly got sick of it but I was comfortable there. I will probably never see that shop again. I hate the feeling of leaving. We should just stay in one place forever. No travel. No worry. No broken hearts. I left plenty of them back in Wadsworth but only one will I take with me until I can get to Wyoming. I hope it'll make it that far. Maybe then my Sandy world will become more colorful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment