Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Focusing Forte

I'm going to spoil some of Hamlet today, so if you wish to read the book without any prior knowledge than please skip this post and the penultimate post. In Act 1 Scene 5, Hamlet learned from his father's ghost that he was murdered by his uncle. With this knowledge, and the request to get revenge on behalf of his father, Hamlet wipes everything but this one desire from his mind; he focuses on one action.

I've heard this expression in many books and TV shows, and yet am not sure it is possible. I have so many things going on that it's hard to focus on the here and now. In my EMT class today, I zoned out so many times that I lost count.

I have an event for my CAPSTONE coming up on Friday, and there are so many preparations for that. Then, tomorrow I was thrown another event that I had no idea about until this morning, again with additional preparation. Then I've got college stuff to worry about, scholarships, having a social life and the homework of my senior year. I'm not stressed to the point of breaking, but I'm stressed enough that I can feel it slightly in my muscles. The good kind of stress that is going to make me focus and get things done.

Even if wiping all things from your mind for one goal is possible, I'm not sure that it's the best choice for me. Of course it is sometimes annoying, but I can now see my math tutor's point. Having a lot of things to do is exhilarating and you begin to stress if you don't have things to do, after being used to it for so long.

Kudos if it works for Hamlet, but for this character it doesn't seem to be in plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment