Monday, September 30, 2013

"October is crisp days and cool nights, a time to curl up around the dancing flames and sink into a good book." -Author Unknown

As I sat reading the updating blogs of my friends tonight, I wondered what I was going to talk about. We have the common stressors such as homework, Capstones, and college, then we have the creative writing folk, the classmates who haven't written yet, and the "I don't know what to write about so be happy if you get something coherent" population. Tonight, I haven't yet decided where I should fall. Oh I know...the quiet observation.

It is nearly October now, ok maybe October begins tomorrow, but it is still an exciting month. Unlike December, or January it is not a month full of vacation and birthdays in my family. It is not distinctly hot like August, or cold like November. It is the middle sibling, a warning, the forgotten one. Mostly forgotten about, it comes up slowly, yet surprisingly. The human eye cannot notice when a leaf is changing, only after it has changed. A brisk wind returns only to remind one that it is October and not to be mistaken.

This month has always been one of my favorites. (Ok, who am I to say that? I enjoy almost every season and month in their own time with the exception of spring, and February, those are just not for me.) Football games with your family, wearing sweatshirts and jeans, noticing the change in the leaves, the atmosphere, the anticipation...It is the calm before the storm. Before the hustle and bustle of the holidays begin, October is there to slowly but surely get us up to par with the months to come. It is the prequel to the holiday story that many choose not to read. I am not among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment