Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Petrified About Poetry

Today I was asked the question, "What is poetry?" Dictionary.com defines it as "the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts." That's quite a mouthful. To me poetry is more than a definition. It's a feeling, a tone, the type of writing that moves you in a way nothing else can. Of course prose has its moments of poetry where words can sound beautiful and amazing, the way an author fuses words together can stir the soul and bring about much pleasure. But poetry invokes that feeling all the time. Those are the extremes it lives in.  Now, I'm not an avid poetry reader, in fact I hated poetry for the longest time. It never told you exactly what the author meant, but that is the very reason I find it compelling. Each person can interpret a poem in a completely different way and most of them can be right. Poetry opens your eyes to a world of the unexpected where there may or may not be a right answer. Now some people may hate that, in fact, I used to. But what I didn't realize was that poetry is a channel through which we can learn more about each other. There are endless possibilities that can be reached through poetry. Dreams can come true and the world can be a beautiful place. Sounds to me like a great place to live.

Adore
I'm abused quite a bit. On one side I'm thrown into a jam, on the other against a wall. I know my job is to provide a way for these people, but at times it's the hardest thing in the world. Some want me to shut up and others want me to open up and reveal what's inside. I put up a fight for the latter, complaining loud enough for everyone to hear. I want to do things my way, but no one listens to what I want, they just use me. I see a lot on both sides, but tell no one. It isn't my job to talk. I guess in a sense, I want things to change, but not too much. My life is kinda fun as it is. It's tough to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment