Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Circle of Addiction

 My entire life, I've been surrounded by addiction. Addiction to alcohol, drugs, television, procrastination, neglect, selfishness, so many others, and not all of them have been mine. With this history it's clear to see that I have a predisposition for it. It runs in the family. Most everyone has heard about addicts. You can't trust them. They only want their next fix. From the time of our birth, from many different directions, we have had addiction stories thrust at us which have forced most of us to be desensitized to the problem of addiction. It doesn't matter if it isn't us. Yeah, we've heard that too, or more that has become our mantra when addiction comes into play. But what if it is you?

This is the life you've grown up with. This is what you know. You're stubborn and you don't want to change. Your independence and strong headedness that tells you to rebel against what everyone says. They say stop your head says keep going. You want help, but don't know who to ask. You don't want help; you can do it on your own. The pill that is called pride is dry and hurts to swallow. Should you change who you are?

I've been here; in fact I'm there now. Part of me will deny ever typing this, while another part wants to put it on a banner for others to see.

Absolutes are one of the worst things ever created in life. I will never fall into temptation again. Oh really? You're not a strong person. I'm tired of my addiction, and want to get rid of it.  Sure, you say that just after the temptation is over with, but you won't change and you know it. It is too hard.

We've all heard words like that from addicts. But everyone knows that their word is hollow, untrustworthy, and repetitive. Unfortunately I have an alcoholic's word.

No comments:

Post a Comment