Monday, September 16, 2013

When In Doubt...Write It Out

Today writer's block hit like a dodge ball to the face. I would start to write this post but would only get a paragraph into it before I had to trash it. It just didn't have the right feel. With nothing else to write about, I'm back to square one. Luckily I have learned many ways to avoid being stuck. When in doubt:
        1. Right Click (No Mrs. Vallerie)
        2. Calc it out (Sorry Mr. Burrill, no)
        3. Write it out (actually that one may not be too bad, sounds like a great idea)

So with nothing better to write about, I am going to give you a sneak peak of a fictional piece of writing I'm working on...Please don't judge it too harshly there is a long story behind this.

Chapter 1: Beauty and the Beast

Names are powerful things. In ancient times they believed that names determined the destiny of the person.

His was Griffin. Meaning mythological beast, he had a lot to live up to. It also meant that he had a predisposition for independence, drive, leadership, and selfishness. Quite an honorable path to attempt to follow. Mine was a little different.

Audrey means noble strength. My predestined traits included being social, playful, creative, a great communicator, positive, superficial, unfocused, and bad with money.

In some areas we were very similar, but in others we were so different that the only option left was to hate each other.

I wasn't impressed with his too good for you attitude, even if half of the school was. I had a tendency to do the unexpected and not liking Griffin Monroe was certainly unexpected in our high school.

If you hadn't slept with him than you were expected to worship the ground he walked on and pine after him as if that was your purpose for being on this earth. If you had slept with him it was understandable if you hated him. After the chase of three days to a week, he got you into bed and didn't talk to you the next day or the week after that or the month after that. You were lucky if he acknowledged your existence for the rest of the year.

While he aimed for sexual pleasure, I went explicitly the other way. Being a teenager with religious morals wasn't exactly the easiest path to choose. It wasn't that there were irresistible boys in my school; in fact it was almost the opposite. If they were physically attractive, their personality was atrocious, and if they had a decent personality they weren't exactly Greek gods. The few that didn't meet these criteria were either my close friends or so far unreachable that it wasn't even worth trying. Needless to say I wasn't really yearning to be intimate with anyone from my school. Add my religion, and a stubborn personality into the mix and it's easy to see that I wasn't going to give my virginity to anyone short of my husband on our wedding night.

Now that wasn't the most popular idea for a student to have in high school. Many times I was scoffed at, and laughed at for my strong Catholic morals. I mean I didn't go around preaching celibacy or anything like that, but some people still felt the need to tell me my opinion was stupid. There were the occasional people who agreed with me and had pledged to be pure, and the idea that I wasn't alone was some relief from the modernist world. The world that Griffin and his friends thrived in constantly.

My values and I, contradicted Griffin and the world he lived in. Everything that was him went against every part of me. He frustrated me in ways I had never imagined. I tried to stay away from him as much as I could, but it seemed that the man upstairs was trying to push us together for some unknown reason.

As much as I believe in waiting until marriage, I believe that God puts people in each other's lives for a reason. If only I had known the large impact he would have in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment