Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Post 40: The List

    The doorbell rang, the baby cried and my phone vibrated on the counter. "Hilary, can you get the door please?" I smiled down at my nephew as I changed his diaper. I grabbed my phone and ran downstairs.
     Send me the minutes from the budget meeting. Another pleasant message from my boss. My niece Hilary stood at the door as I emailed my boss with one hand and balanced my nephew on my hip with the other. I placed Roderik in his playpen and walked to the door.
     "How much is it-" I stopped mid sentence. The pizza delivery guy was oddly familiar.
     "Claire, is that you?" He asked me smiling.
     "Theo...Theo Miller? How are you?" I asked thoroughly surprised. Theo and I had gone to school together. I had a crush on him for two years before we both starting dating.
     "Wow. It's been a long time. You look great."
     "Thanks. I had no idea you were working at Tony's, we love that place." I smiled at Hilary, remembering to bring her into the conversation.
     She rolled her eyes at me. "Yes, we absolutely do. How much is it going to be?" She asked.
     "It's on the house." Theo exclaimed and held the pizza box out. Hilary gladly took it and smiled at him.
     "No, that's not necessary. Hilary, come back." I called after her. I started to turn to go after her, but Theo grabbed my arm.
     "It's ok, I insist." His grasp was comfortable without being too firm. "Besides, if you feel the need to repay me, come out to dinner, we can catch up." His eyes smiled underneath his delivery hat.
     His boyish charm from high school hadn't disappeared. Images of Blaine and Sonya came into my head, but I quickly dismissed them. I could both catch up with Theo and keep my promise to the two of them. Catching up with Theo wouldn't lead anywhere. I never backtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment