Sunday, December 29, 2013

Life Should Be As Easy As Making A Scarf

If I was going to do something for the rest of my life it would be a cross between writing and crocheting. My reasons for wanting to write were explained in a previous episode of The Kameleon venting and expressing in a corner, but I haven't talked much about crocheting.

My first exposure to it was when I was 10. My favorite aunt did it and I thought she was super cool.  In order to ne more cool like her I learned to crochet. It was an interesting activity and I learned along with my best friend. I really liked it back then because it was something I was really good at, even better than my best friend at times.

As I got older I forgot about this secret until I took my sister to lessons to spend more time with her and since then, I've been crocheting like a maniac.

This time around I find it a little more fun than previous years. My skill has increased, and now I'm able to grasp concepts like never before. Now crocheting is an escape, an island from where I find solace at nearly anytime. It's fairly easy too. Many patterns are repetitive, once you figure out HOW to do the stitch you just do it for however long the pattern tells you. It's easy. One of the easiest things I've made recently is a scarf. After you chain and get to the next row, yarn over go into the stitch, pull yarn through, pull through the first two, yarn over and pull through the last two. For those of you who have no idea what I'm saying, I just described a double crochet which is a stictch onr can do when making something. To make a scarf after your initial row you do 1 double crochet in one stictch and 2 in the next. One in the next amd 2 after. It's a fairly simple pattern compared to those out there. 

To me crocheting is becoming like cutting your nails. It feels really good, amd sometimes can be a bit difficult but generally looks good when youre dome. Life would be so much easier if all we did was crochet. Learn the stitch, and repeat while following the pattern. I think we would all be much happier if we were given a pattern or instructions to follow in life. Except of corse for you wild and free spirits out there.  

I didn't even mention one of the best parts about crocheting. If you mess up you rip the project out and get back to the part where it's perfect. Can you imagine how thst would play out in life? Oh I said something stupid...RIP RIP RIP...replace the stupid thing with something cool and bam you look and feel so much better. Although I feel that crocheting as a life philosophy would help save us from embaressment, I'd have to agree with the wild and free spirits on this one: I don't think that we are put on this earth to follow a cookie cutter perfect project pattern. If we were, we would've beem created as yarn, but we aren't yarn. We are human beings, some of whose best moments are rippable errors.

I love crocheting, but I wouldn't want to miss out on all the funny stupid moments, however clique they might be, that make life fun. I'll enjoy it as an avid "hooker" but I do not and will not wish that life becomes like a crochet pattern, but I will admit that it would be a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment