Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Not So Beautiful Creatures

I recently read the book Beautiful Creatures. It came out a while ago and was a pretty decent book. Ok so perhaps I jumped on the "bandwagon," but it doesn't matter I liked it. At times it was slightly boring but my general impression was of enjoyment. I was really excited because after reading the book I could now watch the movie. Was is the key word here.

I try to give movies the benefit of the doubt. Until I see it I usually don't make a snap judgment, unless it just has a stupid movie cover or uninteresting story. For this movie I really tried, honestly kept myself at bay so I could finish it. Maybe at the end it would all make sense. It wasn't too good in the beginning. It didn't get much better.

Now as a past film student I am slightly familiar with production costs, budgets, timing and the difficulty of locations but seriously. They could've done so much better. The writers changed most everything, they added events that never happened, motivations and actions the characters never had or did, and deleted characters that could've aided in the production. Deleting characters I understand, even adding scenes to explain to the novices (the people who don't read the books) what's going on. That's fine, but changing the script and plot of the movie? And changing it to not coincide with the intention of the authors, I'm sorry but I'm not too impressed with. Yeah I`ll probably see those characters in my head as I'm reading the rest of the books; but I will try my best to erase that disastrous book into a movie thing that I just watched.

To add insult to an angry and disappointed review, I classify this movie with Eragon, a horrible movie whose plot didn't set its own sequels up. Heck I'm willing to say that this movie is worse than The Lightning Thief, another book that I loved but was turned into a movie that made me so angry I refused to watch it  for nearly a year after its release. The only thing the movie Beautiful Creatures had going for it was its attractive cast, even some of whom needed to be replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment