Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Paradise Lost

An excerpt from Paradise Lost was given to us to read over the weekend. It was actually fairly interesting. Written during the Renaisance, it's a story about the Fall of Satan. For me it was fairly easy to read.

Most of you know that I am Catholic. I think that because of my religious past it was easier for me to understand than Hamlet. This is a place I've been immersed in since I was a baby; his is like home to me. 

I really liked reading and analyzing this piece of work. It had the academic rigor that Mr. Burge likes but it also had the familiarity that I yearn for. 

One of my favorite questions regarding this passage considered the status of Satan as a hero figure. Was he or wasn't he? Going against everything my faith and the world has taught me I decided that he could be a hero figure. 

Hero figures don't falter when oppressed, fight for what they believe in and are ambitious; in the passage, Satan had done all 3. People are going to argue against me, but I don't care. This question opened my eyes to the possibility that something like this could happen. God may not be happy with me and I should probably feel bad, but I feel bad enough already. I'm so done with caring today. If only everybody knew, oh but I wouldn't want that.

Satan could have felt oppressed, but at least he did something. I'm sitting here festering and gathering hate while I could be doing something. But that's the kind of person I am. The do nothing kind. I used to wonder if Satan and I were similar. I guess not in that respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment