Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Rape of the Lock

We had to read the Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope for homework. It was a weird story. It started off about this girl at a party and then described the party, and then described this guy who was going to cut her hair, then the process of getting up the courage to cut her hair. 18th century poetry is not my favorite. I think I could appreciate the humor in the story but its just really strange. There are little sprites trying to protect her from getting her hair cut, and they don't do a good job because it happens anyway. Then the girl begs for her hair back. Ok, Mr. Pope, most girls are happy to get their hair cut and don't want the dead ends back after its not attached.

I've heard somewhere that this is similar to Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal." In my opinion, Swifts was more interesting. I could feel this way because Swift used language I was used to and could easily understand. Pope on the other hand may have appealed to his audience but not to me.

Curls running down a girl's back are cute no matter whom you are. Why someone wanted to cut it off is beyond me. Couldn't he just get her carriage number like another person rather than being all weird about it?

That's the thing about satire. It is an inside joke that is hilarious if you understand it. If you however remain outside while the joke is being told it is a club that won't let you in. LAME. IRRITATING. CONFUSING.

No comments:

Post a Comment