Thursday, August 13, 2015

Post 73: All Too Real

My best friend made a decision to change her life; she enlisted for the military. Sierra is not the person you would peg as a military recruit. She says what is on her mind and doesn't care if it offends. She has an incredibly supportive family and is very blessed. In a month she won't be with them anymore. When she started talking about joining I listened and was happy for her, but I didn't think much of it. I forgot to account for her commitment to her goals. Now that her departure date is approaching I can't help my own anxiety. For the majority of my life she's been at arm's length, ready to help if needed. We haven't always been close, but in the past few years I've come to depend on her more and more. I'm a naturally independent person and to have a friend this close is rare. She pushes me to get out of my box. I'm scared of being here without her. With nearly a month to go before she leaves for boot camp I'm just now grasping the reality of the situation. She's set to leave and if everything continues to go according to plan nothing will stop her from taking off. I know that without her life will continue on, I'll be forced to make new friends and open myself up to people. I'm going to miss her, I just wish there was an easier way to deal with saying goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment